Anna University Chennai 2010 B.E Mechanical Engineering Me 2304 — engineering metrology and measurements - Question Paper
Thursday, 28 February 2013 09:40Web
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2010
ME 2304 — ENGINEERING METROLOGY AND MEASUREMENTS
(Common to Production Engineering)
Time : 3 hours Maximum : 100 Marks
ans ALL ques.
PART A — (10 × two = 20 Marks)
1. Distinguish ranging from 'Line Standard' and 'End Standard'.
2. describe the term 'Sensitivity' of an instrument.
3. What is meant by wringing of slip gauges?
4. elaborate limit gauges?
5. What is meant by 'Best size wire' in screw thread measurement?
6. describe the term 'constant chord' of a gear.
7. elaborate the advantages of laser interferometer?
8. What is a CNC CMM?
9. elaborate load cells?
10. What is the working principle of bimetallic thermometer?
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) (i) Draw the block diagram of a generalized measurement system and
discuss the different stages with an example. [Marks 10]
(ii) Distinguish ranging from 'Precision' and 'Accuracy' with suitable
examples. [Marks 6]
(b) (i) define Systematic errors and Random errors. explain the means
adopted to minimize these errors. [Marks 12]
(ii) discuss the term 'interchangeability'. [Marks 4]
12. (a) (i) Explain, with a neat sketch, the construction and working of a Tool
Maker's Microscope. [Marks 8]
(ii) Explain, with a sketch, the construction and working of Solex
Pneumatic Comparator. [Marks 8]
(b) (i) What is the principle of Angle dekkor? How is it used for the
measurement of angles? [Marks 8]
(ii) discuss the use of an optical flat to test the flatness of measuring
surfaces. [Marks 8]
13. (a) (i) discuss the principle of measuring gear tooth thickness by Base
tangent method. [Marks 8]
(ii) With a neat sketch, define the construction and working of a
profilometer. [Marks 8]
(b) (i) Derive the formula for measuring the effective diameter of a screw
thread by three-wire method. [Marks 8]
(ii) describe straightness. define any 1 method of measuring
straightness of a surface. [Marks 8]
14. (a) (i) With a neat sketch discuss the working of laser interferometer.
(ii) explain the need of computers in inspection. [Marks 8]
(b) (i) define the construction and operation of a coordinate measuring
machine. [Marks 12]
(ii) State the advantages of CMM. [Marks 4]
15. (a) (i) discuss the principle of operation of a hydraulic dynamometer. [Marks 8]
(ii) discuss the principle of operation of Bourdon tube pressure gauge.
(b) (i) discuss the working of a rotameter with a neat sketch. [Marks eight ]
(ii) Using a sketch, discuss the working of an optical pyrometer. [Marks 8]
|Earning: Approval pending.|