Baldev Ram Mirdha Institute of Technology (BMIT) established in the year 2003 has become one of the most sought after destinations by young budding technocrats. BMIT is ideally situated in the IT Park of the Industrial Zone of Jaipur, city known for its growth & infrastructure. The institute is approved by AICTE and is affiliated to Rajasthan Technical University. The institute provides a four year Bachelor of Engineering degree course in Electronics & communication, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Civil.
Some of BMIT Key initiative include:
It is managed by an NRI having vast technical and managerial exposure garnered from top Indian & US universities and 14 years of work experience in global giants like IBM corp., Siemens US.
1. What are the various functions of the department of personnel management?
2. What is the importance of personnel management in an industrial undertaking?
3. Describe an ideal Personnel policy.
4. Describe various factors in manpower planning. Why is it significant?
5. Differentiate between the short-term and long-term manpower planning.
6. Write a short note on Job Analysis.
7. Write short note on sources of recruitment.
8. Explain the importance and principles of placement of workers.
9. Write short note on “Induction of New Employee”.
10. What do you mean by induction or orientation of employee? Explain its elements.
11. What do you understand by managerial development?
12. What do you know about the external facilities for management development?
13. What is Merit Rating?
14. Explain in brief the main theories of wages.
15. Write short note on ‘Employee Morale.’
1. Visit the Web site of The Weather Channel (www.weather.com) Write a report about the type of information available at this site.
2. Identify other potential sources of information about the weather.
3. Discuss the role of qualitative research in identifying consumer’s needs for weather-related information. Which qualitative research techniques should be used?
4. If a survey were to be conducted to determine consumer preferences for weather-related information, which interviewing method would you recommend? Why?
5. Can observation methods be used to determine consumer preferences for weather- related information? If so, which observational methods would you use? Why?
1. What kind of research design would you recommend for determining the effectiveness of M & M/Mars advertising during the Super Bowl?
2. If the research design involves a survey of households, which survey method would you recommend and why?
3. What kind of measures and scales will you employ in your survey?
4. Can the observation method be used to determine the effectiveness of M & M/Mars advertising during the Super Bowl? If so, which observation method would you recommend and why?
5. Which syndicated services discussed in the book can provide useful information?
The director of marketing for Chrysler is interested in knowing the psychological characteristics of the yuppies to configure the Dodge Viper program. You have been presented with the responses from the survey outlined above. Analyze the data according to the following guidelines:
1. Frequency distribution: Ensure that each variable is appropriate for analysis by running a frequency distribution for each variable.
2. Regression: Using a stepwise regression analysis, locate those variables that best explain the criterion variable. Evaluate the strength of the model and assess the impact of each variable included on the criterion variable.
3. Factor analysis: Determine the underlying psychological factors that characterize the respondents by means of factor analysis of all 30 independent variables. Use principle component extraction with varimax rotation for ease of interpretation. Save the factor scores and then regress them on the criterion variable, forcing all predictor variables to be included in the analysis. Evaluate the strength of this model and compare it with the initial regression. Use the factor scores to cluster the respondents into three groups. Discuss the significance of the groups based on the underlying factors. Repeat this cluster analysis for four groups.
4. Cluster analysis: Cluster the respondents on the original variables into three and four clusters. Which is a better model? Compare these cluster results with the cluster results on the factor scores? Which is easier to interpret, and which explain the data better.
Based on the analysis, prepare a report to management explaining the yuppie Consumer and offering recommendation on the design of the Dodge Viper. Your recommendations should aid Daimler Chrysler in achieving what they seek a new image for the Viper that is attractive to the yuppie market and that helps them outperform the competition in the performance car market.
1. Frequency distribution: Run a frequency distribution for each variable and show bar graphs of the first three variables.
2. Cross – tabulations : Group brand preference as low, medium, and high under the formula low = 1 or 2, medium = 3 to 5, and high = 6 or 7, Group all independent variables as either, low = 1 to 3, medium = 4, and high = 5 to 7. Run two variables cross tabulations of preference with each independent variable. Run the following three-variable cross-tabulations: preference with count per box, controlling for price, preference with unisex, controlling for style, and preference with comfort, controlling for taping. Interpret these results for management.
3. Regression: Run a regression equation for brand preference that includes all independent variables in the model, and describe how meaningful the model is. Interpret the results for management.
4. One-way analysis of variance: Group all independent variables into low, medium and high groups as you did for cross-tabulations. Run a one-way analysis of variance on each independent variable with brand preference. Explain the results to management.
5. Discriminate analysis: Group brand preference into two relatively equal groups based on its distribution. Run discriminate analysis on the grouped data and interpret the results for management. Repeat this analysis by grouping brand preference into three relatively equal groups.
6. Factor analysis: Determine any underlying factors inherent in the data by running a factor analysis using principle components extraction with varimax rotation. Print all available statistics. Save the factor scores and regress these on brand preference. Interpret these results for management.
7. Cluster analysis: Use a nonhierarchical procedure to cluster the respondents, based on the independent variables, into two, three, four, and five clusters. Also run a hierarchical procedure to obtain five clusters using Ward’s method and creating a dendrogram: Interpret all these results for management.
1. Should Nike switch from a focus on celebrities to a focus on its products in its advertising? Discuss the role of marketing research in helping Nike management make this decision. What kind of research should be undertaken /
2. How would you describe the buying behavior of consumers with respect to athletic footwear?
3. What is the management decision problem facing Nike as it attempts to retain its leadership position?
4. Define the marketing research problem facing Nike, given the management decision problem you have identified.
5. Develop two suitable research questions and formulate two hypotheses for each.
6. How can the Internet be used to help Nike in conducting marketing research, and in marketing its products?
1. Describe the management decision problem facing Lexus as it seeks to fight competition from other luxury car manufactures such as Mercedes, BMW, and Jagur, as well as competition from the “near luxury” autos like the Nissan Maxima and the Mazda Millennia.
2. Formulate the marketing research problem corresponding to the management decision problem you have identified in (1)
3. Develop a graphical model explaining the consumer choice process for luxury cars.
4. Identify two research questions based on the definition of the marketing research problem and the graphical model.
5. Develop at least one hypothesis for each research question you have identified in (4).
6. How would you conduct an Internet search for information on the luxury car market? Summarize the results of your search in a report.
1) What is information processing cycle?
2) Write the limitation of computer.
3) Explain Web Page.
4) Explain DNS
5) What is modem? Explain types of model.
6) Write the difference between Dot matrix and Line Printer.
7) Explain Scanner.
8) What is software ?state different categories of software.
9) Explain function of operating system?
10) What is computer networking ?What are its benefits?
11) Explain Man.
12) What is database?
13) Write the differences between Dbms and Rdbms.
14) Explain application of multimedia with example.
15) Explain about Html.
1. What is marketing? Explain importance of marketing for overall development ofthe country.
2. What is Marketing Environment? Discuss factors affecting Marketing Environment.
3. Explain Direct Marketing and online Marketing. State merits and demerits of both.
4. Explain the meaning of market demand and state elements involved in it.
5. What is Cyber Marketing? Write note on Cyber Marketing process.
6. What is consumer behavior? Explain characteristics and importance of consumer behavior?
7. Explain market segmentation. Describe its importance.
8. What do you mean by new product? Explain systematic process for developing a new product.
9. What is consumer Adoption? Explain steps consumer adoption process.
10. Explain term packing and write its functions.
11. Explain importance of packing for the product.
12. Write explanatory note on various price setting methods.
13. What is ad agency? Describe its functions and benefits.
14. What is personal selling? Discuss its characteristics and importance.
15. Explain strategic options available for market leaders.
1. Production planning functions can be broadly identified as ______, _______ and _______.
a) Estimating , routing , distribution
b) Estimating, routing, scheduling
c) Estimating, distribution, collection
d) Distribution, collection, scheduling
2. For efficient process of order picking by personnel, communication plays a vital role in any
Organization and the directives they need to have are ____, _____ and _______.
a) Simple, clear and straight
b) Straight, clear and easy
c) Precise, timely and appropriate
d) Accurate, timely and sufficient
3. The three major functions of any business organization are _______, _______ and ______.
a) Coordinating, organizing, delegating
b) Organizing, supervising, executing
c) Controlling, manning, procuring
d) Operations, marketing, finance
4. Formulation of the strategy depends on the _________.
a) Assessments of strengths, understanding of the weaknesses, the nature of external environment and the resilience of the internal environment.
b) Understanding strategies, formulation of plans, utilization of resources, enabling opportunities
c) Resilience of internal environment, resilience of external environment, understanding strategies, enabling opportunities
d) Decision making abilities, strategizing the actions, preparation of master plan, resource planning
5. Match the following:
P) Market analysis x) needs assessment
Q) Competitive priorities y) design analysis
R) Product design z) cost quality
Which of the following is correct?
a) P-X, Q-Y, R-Z
b) P-X, Q-Z, R-Y
c) P-Y, Q-Z, R-X
d) P-Z, Q-Y, R-X
6. All operation systems are based on criteria of _____, ______ and _____.
a) Output of product, specification of product and flow pattern
b) Input of product, characteristics of product and prices
c) Quality of services, operations and input of product
d) decision making ability, input of product and output of product
7. Consider the following statements:
P) Evaluation is done for the processes and quality assurance measures.
Q) Sometimes suppliers are given total responsibility for design, procurement of materials, processing, Quality and deliveries as per schedules.
Which of the following is correct?
a) Both are true
b) Both are false
c) True and false respectively
d) False and true respectively.
8. The method used mainly where transportation costs either for distribution of products or collection
Of materials from different suppliers is the main criterion.
a) Centre of gravity method
b) Break even analysis
c) Point rating method
d) Factor rating method
9. PDCA stands for ________.
a) Prepare, Develop, Control, Act
b) Plan, Develop, Coordinate, Analyze
c) Product, Development, Cost, Analyze
d) Plan, Do, Check, Ac
10. Success of JIT depends upon a lot of ________ and _______.
a) Preparation and committed implementation
b) Teamwork and technology
c) Cooperation and effort
d) Information technology and planning
11. Write short notes on the following :
(I) CPM Vs. pert technique
(II) Total slack
(III) Advantages of matrix organization
(IV) Commission of projects
12. a. How would operations strategy for a service industry be different if any from that for a manufacturing industry? (It’s an example & explains)
b. What are the levels of aggregation in forecasting for a manufacturing organization? How should this hierarchy of forecasts be linked and used?
13. How would forecasting be useful for operations in a BPO (Business processes outsourcing) unit? What factors may be important for this industry? Discuss.
14. A good work study should be followed by good supervision for getting good results. Explain with an example.
15. What is job evaluation? Can it be alternatively used as job ranking? How does one ensure that job evaluation evaluates the job and not the man? Explain with examples?
16. What is the impact of technology on jobs? What are the similarities between job enlargement & job rotation? Discuss the importance of training in the content of job redesign? Explain with examples?
17. What is internet connectivity? How is it important in to days business would with respect to materials requirement planning & purchasing? Explain with examples?
18. Would a project management organization be different from an organization for regular manufacturing in what ways? Examples.
19. How project evaluation different from project appraisal? Explain with examples.
1. Describe project planning and its function.
2. What are the goals and objectives of project planning?
3. Explain the methods used to assess the project profitability.
4. Give the applications of PERT/CPM techniques.
5. Explain the importance of computers in Project Management.
6. What is phased planning? List the steps involved in project planning.
7. List and explain the characteristics features of a project.
8. Write short note on:-Work Breakdown Structure.
9. Discuss the importance of communication in a project management.
10. Classify the scheduling methods.
11. Explain project direction. What are the different directions of project direction?
1. Analyze the ethics of marketing Publius using utilitarianism, rights, justice, and caring. In your judgement, is it ethical to market Publius? Explain.
2. Are the creators of Publius in any way morally responsible for any criminal acts that criminals are able to carry out and keep secret by relying on Publius? Is AT & T in any way morally responsible for these? Explain your answers.
3. In your judgment, should governments allow the implementation of Publius? Why or why not?
1. Fully explain the effects that payment like those which Lockheed made to the Japanese have on the structure of a market.
2. In your view, were Lockheed’s payments to the various Japanese parties “bribes” or “extortions” ? Explain your response fully.
3. In your judgment, did Mr. A. Carl Kotchian act rightly from a moral point of view ? (Your answer should take into account the effects of the payments on the welfare of the societies affected, on the right and duties of the various parties involved, and on the distribution of benefits and burdens among the groups involved.) In your judgment, was Mr. Kotchian morally responsible for his actions ? Was he, in the end, treated fairly ?
4. In its October 27, 1980, issue, Business Week argued that every corporation has a corporate culture – that is, values that set a pattern for itsemployee’s activities, opinions and actions and that are instilled in succeeding generations of employees (pp.148-60). Describe, if you can, the corporate culture of Lockheed and relate that culture to Mr. Kotchian’s actions. Describe some strategies for changing that culture in ways that might make foreign payments less likely.
1. In your judgment, is it wrong, from an ethical point of view, for the auto companies to submit plans for an automobile to China ? Explain your answer ?
2. Of the various approaches to environmental ethics outlined in this chapter, which approach sheds most light on the ethical issues raised by this case ? Explain your answer.
3. Should the U.S. government intervene in any way in the negotiations between U.S. auto companies and the Chinese government ? Explain.
1. In your judgment, do the managers of the Robert Hall store have any ethical obligations to change their salary policies ? If you do not think they should change, then explain why they have an obligation to change and describe the kinds of changes they should make. Would it make any difference to your analysis if, instead of two departments in the same store, it involved two different Robert Hall Stores, one for men and one for women ? Would it make a difference if two stores (one for men and one for women) owned by different companies were involved ? Explain each of your answers in terms of the relevant ethical principles upon which you are relying.
2. Suppose that there were very few males applying for clerks’ jobs in Wilmington while females were flooding the clerking job market. Would this competitive factor justify paying males more than females ? Why ? Suppose that 95 percent of the women in Wilmington who were applying for clerks’ jobs were single women with children who were on welfare while 95 percent of the men were single with no families to support. Would this need factor justify paying females more than males ? Why ? Suppose for the sake of argument that men were better at selling than women; would this justify different salaries ?
3. If you think the managers of the Robert Hall store should pay their male and female clerks equal wages because they do “substantially the same work” then do you also think that ideally each worker’s salary should be pegged to the work he or she individually performs (such as by having each worker sell on commission) ? Why ? Would a commission system be preferable from a utilitarian point of view considering the substantial book keeping expenses it would involve ? From the point of view of justice ? What does the phrase substantially the same mean to you ?
1. What are the legal issues involved in this case, and what are the moral issues ? How are the two different kinds of issues different from each other, and how are they related to each other ? Identify and distinguish the “systemic, corporate and individual issues” involved in this case.
2. In your judgment, was it morally wrong for Shawn Fanning to develop and release his technology to the world given its possible consequences ? Was it morally wrong for an individual to use Napster’s website and software to copy for free the copy righted music on another person’s hard drive ? If you believe it was wrong, then explain exactly why it was wrong. If you believe it was not morally wrong, then how would you defend your views against t he claim that such copying is stealing ? Assume that it was not I illegal for an individual to copy music using Napster. Would there be anything immoral with doing so ? Explain ?
3. Assume that it is morally wrong for a person to use Napster’s website and software to make a copy of copyrighted music. Who, then, would be morally responsible for this person’s wrong doing ? Would only the person himself be morally responsible ? Was Napster, the company, morally responsible ? Wash shawn Fanning morally responsible ? Was any employee of Napster, the company, morally responsible ? Was the operator of the server or that portion of the Internet that the person used morally responsible ? What if the person did not know that the music was copyrighted or did not think that it was illegal to copy copyrighted music ?
4. Do the music companies share any of the moral responsibility for what has happened ? How do you think technology like Napster is likely to change the music industry ? In your judgment, are these changes ethically good or ethically bad ?
1. Discuss this case from the perspective of utilitarianism, rights, justice and caring. What insight does virtue theory shed on the ethics of the events described in this case ?
2. “ In a free enterprise society all adults should be allowed to make their own decisions about how they choose to earn their living.” Discuss the statement in light of the Lily case.
3. In your judgment, is the policy of using homeless alcoholics for test subjects morally appropriate ? Explain the reasons for your judgment. What does your judgment imply about the moral legitimacy of a free market in labor ?
4. How should the managers of Lily handle this issue ?
1. What’s up with our fascination with bigness ? Is this a uniquely American preference ? Do you believe that “bigger’s better ?” Is this a sound marketing strategy ?
2. What’s your take on this issue ? How do you react when one of your favorite songs turns up in a commercial ? Is this use of nostalgia an effective way to market a product ? Why or why not ?
3. What’s your take on this ? Are young people indeed returning to the value of their parents (or even their grandparents) ? How have these changes influenced your perspective on marriage and family ?
4. How was your experience – how helpful was this mannequin ? When you shop for clothes online, would you rather see how they look on a body with dimensions the same as yours, or on a different body ? What advice can give Web site designers who are trying to personalize theses shopping environments by creating life – like models to guide you through the site ?
5. What do you think ? What is and what should be the role of fashion in our society ? How important is it for people to be in style ? What are the pros and cons of keeping up with the latest fashions ? Do you believe that we are at the mercy of designers.
1. Which of the theories of international trade can help Indian services providers gain competitive edge over their competitors?
2. Pick up some Indian services providers. With the help of Michael Porter’s diamond, analyze their strengths and weaknesses as active players in BPO.
3. Compare this case with the case given at the beginning of this chapter. What similarities and dissimilarities do you notice? Your analysis should be based on the theories explained.
1. What are some current issues facing Peru? What is the climate for doing business in Peru today?
2. What type of political risks does this fishing company need to evaluate? Identify and describe them.
3. What types of integrative and protective and defensive techniques can the bank use?
4. Would the bank be better off negotiating the loan in New York or in Lima? Why?
1. Why is that Coke has not been able to make profit in its Indian operations?
2. Do you think that Coke should continue to stay in India? If yes, why?
3. What cultural adaptations would you suggest to the US expatriate managers regarding their management style?
4. Using the Hofstede and the value orientations cultural model , how can you explain some of the cultural differences noted in this case ?
1. Where does the joint venture meet the needs of both the partners ? Where does it fall short?
2. Why had ABB-PBS failed to realize its technology leadership ?
3. What lessons one can draw from this incident for better management of technology transfers?
1. What factors have shaped the accounting system currently in use in China ?
2. What problem does the accounting system, currently in sue in China, present to foreign investors in joint ventures with Chinese companies ?
3. If the evolving Chinese system does not adhere to IASC standards, but instead to standards that the Chinese governments deem appropriate to China’s “Special situation”, how might this affect foreign firms with operations in China ?
1. “You can’t tell consumers that the low price they are paying for a particular fax machine or automobile is somehow unfair. They’re not concerned with the profits of companies. To them, it’s just a great bargain and they want it to continue.” Do you agree with this statement ? Do you think that people from different cultures would respond differently to this statement? Explain your answers.
2. As we’ve seen, the WTO cannot currently get involved in punishing individual companies for dumping – its actions can only be directed toward governments of countries. Do you think this is a wise policy? Why or why not? Why do you think the WTO was not given the authority to charge individual companies with dumping? Explain.
3. Identify a recent antidumping case that was brought before the WTO. Locate as many articles in the press as you can that discuss the case. Identify the nations, products (s) , and potential punitive measures involved. Supposing you were part of the WTO’s Dispute Settlement Body, would you vote in favor of the measures taken by the retailing nation? Why or why not?
PRINCIPLES & PRACTISE OF MANAGEMENT
1. What opportunities and threats did McDonald’s face? How did it handle them? What alternatives could it have chosen?
2. Before McDonald’s entered the European market, few people believed that fast food could be successful in Europe. Why do you think McDonald’s has succeeded? What strategies did it follow? How did these differ from its strategies in Asia?
3. What is McDonald’s basic philosophy? How does it enforce this philosophy and adapt to deferent environments?
4. Should McDonald’s expand its menu? If you say no, then why not? If you say yes, what kinds of precuts should it add?
5. Why is McDonald’s successful in many countries around the world?
1. Can a division manager develop verifiable goals, or objectives, when the president has not assigned them to him or her? How? What king of information or help do you believe is important for the division manager to have from headquarters?
2. Was the division manager setting goals in the best way? What would you have done?
1. Evaluate the formulation of the merger between Daimler and Chrysler. Discuss the strategic fit and the different product lines.
2. Assess the international perspectives of Eaton and Schrempp.
3. What are the difficulties in merging the organizational cultures of the two companies?
4. What is the probability of success of failure of the merger? What other mergers do you foresee in the car industry?
1. The re-engineering efforts focused on the business process system. Do you think other processes, such as the human system, or other managerial policies need to be considered in a process redesign?
2. What do you think was the reaction of the brand managers, who may have worked under the old system for many years, when the category management structure was installed?
3. As a consultant, would you have recommended a top-down or bottom-up approach, or both, to process redesign and organizational change? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?
1. Is the Hewlett – Packard way of managing creating a climate in which employees are motivated to contribute to the aims of the organization? What is unique about the HP Way?
2. Would the HP managerial style work in any organization? Why, or why not? What are the conditions for such a style to work?
1. In the NUMMI joint venture, what did Toyota gain? What were the benefits for General Motors?
2. As a consultant, what strategies would you recommend for European carmakers to improve their competitive position in the global car industry?